Thursday, August 16, 2012



It's been a while since I gave you guys a DIY so here's something fun and cute you can use to jazz up any room in your home!

I'm feverishly decorating my new apartment and decided that I needed some more print in my bedroom. What's more chic than polka dots?! I wanted a big contrast from the sweet & summery color scheme of the room (teal, and various shades of pink) So I went with a navy blue base and white spots. Of course this will work with any color.

These are the materials you'll need, I got all of them at Michael's Craft Store (with the exception of the Ikea MALMA Mirror), and it was all under $15! !

TIP: Before you begin, grab a garbage bag and cut it open. Put all of your materials on top and use it as your safety net. Paint is so unpredictable!


 LtoR - Grumbacher Academy Acrylic Paint in Thalo Blue ($5) • Liquitex Acrylic Color in Titanium White ($4) • Round Foam Sponge (You only need one if all of your dots will be the same color) ($2 for pack) • Foam Paint Brush (50cents) • Painters Tape • Ikea MALMA mirror ($1.50 -- yup. Less than 2 bucks!)

 Step 1: Line the interior of the mirror with painters tape, just to protect the glass from any splashes of paint. It'll help keep your mirror neat and keep the lines straight!


 Step 2: Begin painting! When using a sponge brush, it doesn't necessarily matter what direction you paint in, just be sure you do long strokes, from end-to-end for a clean look! Don't forget the sides!

 Step 3: After the first coat of base paint, let the paint dry completely. Exactly why I love Acrylic paint, because it dries very quickly! I did two coats, that's up to your discretion. After both coats were dry, I dipped my round foam brush into the contrasting paint. Make sure the layer of paint on the brush is thin and smooth or your polka dots will be too thick and not dry correctly. Now begin spotting! I freehanded, not using a stencil to calculate placement. You can easily get stencils at Michaels or simply go by eye, as I did.

TIP: When spotting, I found that rotating the sponge in a clockwise-then counterclockwise motion made sure the spots were full and completely round.


Let them dry! Peel the tape off after they are completely dry. Spray with a little Shellac for a nice gloss.








And here's the finished product! Just waiting for my printed pillows and my room is almost complete! Comment with questions!


xo



2 comments:

  1. omg thats so creativeee ! im copyinggg(except w. cheetah print) lol . love ur blog girly <3

    ReplyDelete