Tuesday, August 14, 2012



As mentioned last week's post Fool For Love, I planned on going to see Kristen Tomanocy's adaptation of Fool For Love by Sam Shepard. The show opened this past weekend,  I was able to catch the last performance on August 12th, and you can officially call me a TRUE fool for love!

The play was held in the ever-so-trendy Williamsburg, which perfectly foreshadowed the warm faces and trendy individuals that made up the welcome team at the box office. Adding to the ambiance was white wine, and a compilation of chic, dapper and energetic audience members, anxiously awaiting the show's start. The setting was intimate, with actors and the set being feet away from our feet; providing for a raw and personal performance.

Without giving a full synopsis of the play's content itself, it is a short play on the struggles between lovers who have shared 15 years of turmoil, separation, love, lust, family and a hell of a lot of dysfunction. The love exhibited in the play was absolutely piercing,  It was a yearning that everyone could relate to, but slightly feared. A wavering love that was so intense that May and Eddy thought they would die without it. And that was something that struck to the core of the plays audience. 


     "I don't got nothin' new to show you, you know me inside & out"

The beautiful Steph Holmbo made an astounding May, creating the perfect mix of sassy and vulnerable; introducing her viewers to the atypical role of a badass main actress in dire need of her other half. Main actor Tyler Grimes revived the dying cowboy image in a modern and sexy way; both actors succeeding in creating a compelling rendition of a situation we've all seen/felt time and time again. The cast held impeccably true to the plays western aura, and wound viewers up to a twist none of us expected.

The poetry was personally my favorite part of the entire play. It created a fresh, realistic and in-depth portrayal of love in its purest form. Tom Bair performed my favorite poem of the night, delivering a chilling soup of emotions, fear, and confusion in an intellectual body of cynicism. This proved to be the most intriguing because of its intensity, and impeccable expression; I was hanging onto his every word.


Fool for Love brought me into a type of theatre I was once weary of, drew me in, chewed me up and left me at the bottom of  a bottle of tequila. Watch out for the director Kristen Tomanocy and every actor/poet involved in this play because there is no doubt in my mind, they'll be storming the industry sooner than later.

Stay tuned for a post on the directors attire for her closing show!

xo

Photo cred: Kate Campbell


0 comments:

Post a Comment